Golf Maintenance FYI
· The golf course was in very good condition for the Club Championship weekend and received many compliments. I will be meeting with the CMGA to discuss golf course preparation as there were some comments regarding the high green speeds for the tournament.
· The greens height was lowered today to 0.110 inches from 0.120 and greens will be verticut on Sunday and top-dressed lightly on Wednesday. The warm weather continues to make the turf grass look great but has a negative impact on green speed. With so much golf being played and so much work being completed on the golf course, common grounds and at the maintenance building, it is challenging to dedicate the necessary time and labor to our greens. However, I am committed to increasing their speed and maintaining them at that level on a consistent basis over the next 8 weeks in particular. When our attention is focused on the greens, as it was for 3 days for the Club Championship, it is amazing what can be accomplished. However, no bathrooms were cleaned, tennis and bocce courts weren’t raked, 2 managers worked the weekend and we paid 4 employees 8 hours each of overtime to work the weekend.
· The golf course was fertilized this week with a quick release granular product. Due to some rain on Wednesday during the application, the fertilizer started to release. This caused tire marks on Hole 12. The tires crush the fertilizer into the turf and creates a “burn”. This will be quickly mowed off early next week.
· The maintenance building project is nearing completion and we will begin moving in next week. Lockers have been delivered, counter tops measured, and desks ordered. Once the trailer is removed on Friday, the asphalt will be worked on and completed in 2 to 3 weeks. We will plan an Open House toward the end of March or beginning of April to show off the new facility. There was no Committee meeting this week due to a busy schedule, but one will be planned for next week.
· Tees, Fairways and Approaches were sprayed with liquid fertilizer to help maintain their excellent quality.
· Roman Gomez will be working this weekend, and everything is planned for the Men’s Day event on Saturday.
· I now have one opening as our newest employee was asked to return to his old construction position at a substantial pay increase. I will be actively looking to fill the position soon.
· Overall, everything continues to look good throughout the community.